Friday, November 10, 2006

Looking through God's Window

To end my travels with Kate, we decided to go for a hike on her last day in Cape Town. We hiked Table Mountain . We started our hike in Constantia, a little area south of our Guest House and recommended by the owners. We hiked along Constantia Nek, up the very steep steps of Nursery Ravine, around the mountain reservoirs on top of Table Mountain and then back down one of the 12 Apostles (the ridges that stick out of the mountain are called the 12 Apostles) on the other side into Camps Bay.

It’s funny….there is not much to say about a hike. But standing on top of the mountin, you could see for miles and miles. It was kind of like looking out of God's window. It wasn't what is officially titled "God's Window"...but it was beautiful enough to be so. The blanket of water stretched forever. The mountain range stood tall. As I stood up on top of the mountain looking out over the Atlantic Ocean, I suddenly hit me that I was standing in a place farther south than I have ever been before.

The hike was long..it was hard..but the way down was absolutely beautiful (as you can see). We saw lizards...We saw snakes. We walked on pavement...We walked on dirt...We walked on gravel...We climbed rocks....We climbed steps. We walked on Sand...When on top, the clouds rolled in and we were literally walking on a cloud.

When we got down to the bottom, Kate and I laid on the beach for a little while. At least we tried to. It was so windy that as we laid in our swimsuits and the towels we bought at the grocery store, the sand pelted us like an exfoliater which forced us to splurge for the beach chairs being rented by the locals. Kate and I found ourselves tempted to go into the water, but the touch of the water to my toes, made goosebumps appear on my arms and legs. Then out of nowhere, Kate dives in head first. She was a brave soul….not me..no way. Too frigid.

We took a taxi back to town and did a bit of shopping and then headed back to our guest house so that Kate could clean up before she needed to go to the airport.

Kate was a wonderful travel partner and I could not have asked for better company during my stay in Cape Town. Thanks Kate!

Labels:

The text and photos of all postings on this blog remain the copyright of Betsy Liebsch, unless otherwise stated. Under no circumstances should the photos or text be used without the express written permission of Betsy Liebsch. If you wish to use or publish photos or text from this article, please contact me.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can phrase that I approve of with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is quiet a without question as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with issue of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=prozac school shootings ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you suffer with not used. Or you use the pitch-dark methods of promotion of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg

Post a Comment

<< Home